Tuesday, July 01, 2008
the movie year. 2008. so far. unannotated.
Here are - to date - my personal film favorites for the first half of 2008.
THE BEST FILM OF THE YEAR: (Drum roll, please!)
* "In Bruges" (Martin McDonagh, Great Britain/Belgium)
And listed in no particular order, the rest:
* "The Visitor" (Tom McCarthy, United States)
* "4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days"/"4 luni, 3 saptamâni si 2 zile" (Cristian Mungiu, Romania)
* "Cassandra’s Dream" (Woody Allen, Great Britain/United States/France)
* "Redbelt"(David Mamet, United States)
* "Love Songs"/"Les Chansons d'amour" (Christophe Honoré, France)
* "Iron Man" (Jon Favreau, United States)
* "Savage Grace" (Tom Kalin, United States/France/Spain)
* "You Don’t Mess with the Zohan" (Dennis Dugan, United States)
* "Roman de Gare" (Claude Lelouch, France)
* "Noise" (Henry Bean, United States)
* "The Bank Job" (Roger Donaldson, Great Britain)
As for as other specifics and details, I'll pass - except to single out Colin Farrell as the year's best actor for his flawless, equally committed back-to-back work in "Cassandra's Dream" and "In Bruges."
Now, on with the rest of the year...
(Artwork: Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson in the year's best film, "In Bruges," and the comic/brooding Farrell, the year's best actor)
Posted by joe baltake at 11:35 AM