Monday, January 13, 2014

indelible moment: John Huston's "The Misfits"



"Horse killers! Killers! Murderers!

"You're liars! All of you, liars!

"You're only happy when you can see something die!

"Why don't you kill yourselves and be happy?!

"You and your God's country! Freedom! I pity you! You're three dear, sweet, dead men!

"Butchers! Murderers!

"I pity you! You're three dead men!"


-Marilyn Monroe as Roslyn, a lonely, stricken divorcée begging three modern cowboys - played by Clark Gable, Montgomery Clift and Eli Wallach - not to trap wild horses for dog food  

4 comments:

Sheila said...

A wrenching moment, indeed.

Jane said...

Joe, that scene was beautifully written. I also love The Misfits and have to close my eyes when the mustangs are hunted down. I'm thinking of eventually adopting a needy horse.

delson said...

I could never watch or enjoy this film because of how the horses are treated.

Jimboo said...

I always found it amusing that back in the day "Life" magazine airbrushed the bulge out of Clark Gable's trousers when the top photo was printed in the magazine. (You have the censored image posted above. A search on the internet will bring up the unaltered photo.) Today the original would probably run on the movie poster with an ad campaign built around it. How times have changed!