Wednesday, December 04, 2019

m. m. m.

Having interviewed an incredible number of film personalities during my years as a movie critic, I am inevitably asked who were the nicest.

Easy. Jack Lemmon comes to mind immediately, of course. After that, I surprise even myself because two encounters of which I have particularly fond memories involved John Wayne and David Niven, especially Niven.

But more about David Niven later, in another essay. Today, I'll share my John Wayne reminiscence, a situation that was unexpected and wholly memorable. It was July 1976 and Wayne was visiting Philadelphia to promote what would be his final film, Don Siegel's "The Shootist."

Paramount welcomed Wayne, celebrating his arrival by staging the event in the massive John Wanamaker department store, specifically with a luncheon in the store's glittery eighth-floor Grand Crystal Tea Room.

The place was packed, overwhelmingly so. (For a time, the Grand Crystal Tea Room was the largest dining venue in Philadelphia, accommodating sit-down receptions of up to 1,000 people.) The late Linda Goldenberg, who was the Paramount rep in Philly at the time, was in charge of seating and sat me next to Wayne, whom I had interviewed a bit earlier in a more subdued location in the store, Wanamaker's Board Room.

Hold on. Lunch with John Wayne. (Which turned out to nothing like my unfortunate encounter with Shirley MacLaine which was covered here a few essays ago.) Lunch with a mythical screen presence, a situation which made it difficult for the person sitting opposite him to be professional and controlled.

It is here that he became Marion Mitchell Morrison (his real name).

For a while, it was just the two of us sitting at the table, making largely small talk. Wayne was soft-spoken, relaxed and courtly. Uncommonly modest and deferential. An actor and man whom critic Richard Schickel once astutely described as "the unacclaimed hero." The Quiet Man.

It wasn't long before we were approached by a Wanamaker executive who I recognized as Benjamin H. Doroff, the store's Executive Vice President, who asked me to move to another chair or table so that he could sit with Wayne. Doroff was a nice man but he was getting adament. Would there be a scene? To quash that possibility, I simply referred him to the table's place cards. "Perhaps you want to check this out with Linda," I said. This is when Wayne intervened. "She's over there," he said, pointing at Linda.

After Doroff left, John Wayne patted me on my hand and said "Well done."

Other people were now sitting at our table. One woman showed up with the July issue of Cosmopolitan to have Wayne autograph one of its stories - a piece titled "Wayne, Westerns and Women" by the feminist film critic Molly Haskell.

Wayne was surprised that the piece was positive. "She likes me?," he asked of Haskell.

Before we got around to lunch, there was another autograph request - of a terrific (and, again, unexpected) 1979 Phil Stern shot of Wayne vacationing in Acalpulco, providing a side of the actor removed from The Duke and closer to Marion Mitchell Morrison. Softer.

Regarding Comments: All comments are enthusiastically appreciated but are moderated before publication. Replies signed "unknown" or "anonymous" are not encouraged. Please sign any response with a name (real or fabricated) or initials.  Be advised that a "name" will be assigned to any accepted post signed "unknown" or "anonymous." Thank you. -J

* * * * *
~images 
(from top)

 ~John Wayne between interview sessions in 1976
 ~photography: Clayton Davis/Getty images1976©

 ~One of the logos for The Grand Crystal Tea Room
~poster art: Wanamaker 1976©

~A different John Wayne
~photography: Phil Stern 1959©

15 comments:

Gabriel said...

Fascinating story, Joe. I’m curious -why did you choose to write about him at this time? Also, he seems like someone who made his political views known but perhaps I’m imagining that.

joe baltake said...

Gabriel- I was taking inventory of my interviews, came across the one that I did with Wayne and realized that the situation surrounding it was more fascinating- so I decided to share. Re Wayne’s conservative politics, I believe that he broufgt them up only when asked. I didn’t ask. -J

Sheila said...

Love that metrosexual pic of The Duke!

Joanmichelle said...

Another great story - with Crystal Room memories for a nice plus.

Kenny said...

Wayne never made a good movie. Period. And that was strictly because of his politics!

joe baltake said...

Patently untrue, Kenny. His right-leaning politics (with which I also disageered) notwithstanding, he appeared in some pretty great movies directed by iconic filmmakers.

Charlotte said...

Note to Kenny: Exactly what is a "John Wayne film" anyway? As Joe points out, he made movies for other people - like John Ford. He made "John Ford films." Who may have shared the same dubious politics as Wayne - meaning "conservative" for me. He worked for the best people and made many top movies.

Bunuel said...

Josef von Sternberg, John Huston, Michael Curtiz, King Vidor, Alan Dwan, John Ford, Howard Hawks, Raoul Walsh, William Wellman, Henry Hathaway, Cecil B. DeMille, David Miller, Jules Dassin, Nicholas Ray, Mervyn LeRoy, John Farrow, Tay Garnett, Otto Preminger, Mark Rydell, Andrew V. McLaglen, Paul Bogart, Burt Kennedy, John Sturges, Don Siegel, Stuart Miller and even George Lucas = John Wayne movies.

Brian Lucas said...

Richard Fleischer, too.

joe baltake said...

Thanks for the rather inclusive list, Bunuel. (You, too, Brian.) I doubt that not all of these filmmakers shared Wayne's politics in their time.

Kevin Deany said...

Scott Eyman's John Wayne biography is a wonderful book, one of the best actor biographies I've ever read. When researching the book, he was amazed at the number of people - actors, actresses, directors, writers, etc. - who disagreed with Wayne's politics but were surprised how much they liked the man personally. When the very liberal Collette Dewhurst did her scene in THE COWBOYS she was very hesitant about working and meeting with Wayne, but that soon dissipated. When she was offered a supporting role two years later in Wayne's MCQ she said yes with no hesitation. On opening night of one of her Broadway plays she received bouquet of flowers from Wayne, and said there was no one she would loved to get flowers from more than Wayne. It meant the world to her.


Even if we disagree with someone's politics, we can still enjoy their work. I know I do.

Brian Lucas said...

To Kevin Deany- A correction. The actress in question is COLLEEN Dewhurst, not Collette.

mike schlesinger said...

And John Ford was no conservative. The fact that he made westerns with John Wayne hardly constitutes "proof."

Bill Wolfe said...

My (long distance) "meeting" with the Duke came when I was on a trip to London in August of 1974. One day as I was strolling the city, I observed a film crew at work on (as I recall) Tower Bridge; when I asked someone what was being filmed, I was told it was a John Wayne movie called "Brannigan." I've watched it on TV late at night once or twice over the years since then and I always get a kick out of seeing "my" scene. I'm glad Wayne was likable when you met him.

joe baltake said...

Terrific story, Bill. Thanks much for sharing! -J