Thursday, May 02, 2019

tashlin + lewis ÷ murphy = "norbit"

Out of the blue recently, an email came in from my friend John.

"I was browsing online, Joe, and the Eddie Murphy movie, 'Norbit.' popped up. I remembered you surprising me with a glowing and very unexpected endorsement a few years back, saying that you even bought the DVD. I checked it out. Damn good movie. Murphy was great. Thanks belatedly, Joe, for the recommendation. Otherwise, I'd have skipped it altogether."

Hey, John, thanks. You've inspired me. Given that this site, as noted, is devoted largely to movies neglected and mostly misunderstood, now is the time to praise "Norbit." Back in 2007, I also came to the film belatedly. Can't remember why. I was probably put off by its dubious trailer.

And, frankly, the dismissive reviews didn't help either, even though it was clear to me at the time that "Norbit" was the kind of vulnerable movie for which reviewers routinely/traditionally save all their venom and bad jokes.

Nevertheless, a hint of the film's political incorrectness and sense of anarchy kept me vaguely interested, along with those curious pans which seemed just a tad too excessive and hysterical. So I gave in and went.

Nothing prepared me for the treat I encountered, and I suppose that a lot of my delight in the film is that it took me totally by surprise. Given all the buzz and hype that surround films these days, how often these days can one go into a film "innocent," untarnished by someone else's opinion?

Never.

For better or worse, "Norbit" is an authentic Jerry Lewis movie, an exhilarating throwback to the kind of movies that Lewis made, specifically the ones he made in tandem with director Frank Tashlin. It is genuinely, side-splittingly funny. While Murphy's timid "Nutty Professor" twins were ostensibly inspired by Lewis, "Norbit" is the real thing, unapologetically so.

Not only does it feature Murphy's best screen work to date - and in three fully-realized roles - but it is elevated by Rick Baker's impressive-as-usual make-up work. The real revelation here, however, is Brian Robbins' direction. Nothing in his filmography ("Varsity Blues," "The Perfect Score," "Good Burger") gives any indication that Robbins knew how to handle what I see as tricky material that is superficially offensive but innocent at heart.

Does it sound ridiculous to wax poetic about Brian Robbins' incredible mise en scène in "Norbit"?

Probably. But so what.

Regarding the critics, either they went in with preconceived notions about "Norbit" and saw the film they wanted to see, or their deadline pressures led to hasty reviews. I can't explain why the critics didn't "get" it, Mick LaSalle, the ever-astute film sage of The San Francisco Chronicle, being a rare exception. Nevertheless, "Norbit" was one of the few films at the time that I wanted to see again. Hence, the DVD in my collection.

What's especially baffling about the critical reaction to "Norbit" is that the very reviewers who panned it probably love Frank Tashlin's stuff.

Tashlin, who successfully transitioned from animation to live-action, always brought a trademark antic quality and a sense of the ridiculous to his features. Cartoons were in his blood. I've a hunch that, for these reasons, he would have appreciated "Norbit."

Notes in Passing: Speaking of Tashlin, too many of his breezy comedies from the the 1950s and early '60s have evaded home entertainment in any form. Sure, it's relatively easy to see his two Jayne Mansfield flicks, "Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?" and "The Girl Can't Help It."

But what about the many others?

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of - and would love to see - "The Lieutenant Wore Skirts" (1956), starring the wonderful Sheree North and Tom Ewell; "Say One for Me" (1959),  with Debbie Reynolds paired with Bing Crosby and Robert Wagner; "Bachelor Flat" (1962), with Tuesday Weld and Terry-Thomas, and especially "The Man from the Diner's Club" (1963) with Danny Kaye and Cara Williams. Release them, I say!

And if any of these titles are available, by all means, enlighten me. Share.

For added reading on Tashlin, I recommend two pieces from 2007 that may still be available on-line - "The Tashline Tradition." written for Premiere magazine by Glenn Kenny, and a terrific essay titled "The Nonsense We Call Civilization: The Cartoons and Comedies of Frank Tashlin,," written by Jim Healy when he was Assistant Curator of exhibitions/motion picture Department at the George Eastman House in Rochester, New York. Jim, who now oversees the UW Cinematheque in Madison, WI., wrote the piece in conjunction with a Tashlin rep program that he had put together at the time.

And by all means, check out "Norbit." Actually, be inventive and make it a double-bill, pairing it with one of the comedies Tashlin made with Jerry Lewis ("Rock-a-Bye Baby" or "The Geisha Boy") or an older one with Dean Martin and Lewis ("Artists and Models" or "Hollywood or Bust."

Note in Passing: A note from Michael Schlesinger (from comments below). "Speaking of Tashlin, if I may be permitted, given the passing of Miss Day, I hope you'll allow me to post this link to an observation of when their paths crossed most agreeably on ”The Glass Bottom Boat.”

Regarding Comments: All comments are enthusiastically appreciated but are moderated before publication. Replies signed "unknown" or "anonymous" are not encouraged. Please sign any response with a name (real or fabricated) or initials.  Be advised that a "name" will be assigned to any accepted post signed "unknown" or "anonymous." Thank you. -J 


~images~
(from top) 

~Poster art for "Norbit" 
~Dreamworks 2007©

~Poster art for "The Lieutenant Wore Skirts"
~20th Century-Fox 1956©

~Frank Tashlin at work
~photography: Warner Bros. 1944©

23 comments:

Todd said...

I skipped "Norbit" in the theaters because of the reviews and the ads, which also turned me off. But you're right - it's a really throwback to vintage Lewis. I loved it when Murphy screamed, "La-a-adies," a la Lewis, at the end of the movie.

Isabell said...

just to let you know that I totally agree with you - Norbit is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. I found it absolutely hilarious even though it is very stupid and stereotyped but who cares? As long as I can have a good laugh!!
I have watched Norbit several times and never get sick of it.
Another of my favourites is "I love you to death" with Kevin Kline. You will like it too - if you haven't seen it already. I've watched it a million times.
Bye for now,
Isabell

Isabell said...

P.S.: Do you know any more funny movies as we seem to have a similar sense of humor.

joe baltake said...

Thanks, Isabell. I also like “I Love You to Death.” As for your question, I'll avoid "the usual suspects" and go with “Caddyshack,” “Kingpin” and “Used Cars.” -J

Isabell said...

Hi Joe,
thanks for the tip - I will definitely watch these movies!!
Wishing you all the best and lots of good laughs,
Isabell :)))

Shaun T. said...

Hey, Joe. Terrific blog. And couldn't agree with you more about "Norbit." Terribly misunderstood movie. Your Tashlin connection is spot on. Keep up the great work

Shelley said...

I had the same idea that you had about "Norbit" - that there might be something there. When you mentioned Frank Tashlin, I got it right away. I love Tashlin's work, particularly what when he worked with Lewis. You convinced me to check it out. Thanks.

Lawrence said...

Frankly, I was mystified by the hostility of film critics to the film. While I was unfamiliar with the name Tashlin, the movie was obviously a take on the Jerry Lewis movies (and I had seen several of them in my youth) and, more to the point, an improvement upon them. This was one psychologically astute and daring movie: such a monster woman as Rasputia would indeed, after her initial attraction to her physically slight husband, very likely would grow dismissive and increasingly violent. This is strong stuff in a farce and the movie pulls it off without flinching.

Becky said...

Joe-- I'm a Thashlin freak, too. Can't get enough of him. Thanks for the tip and for the nice words about my favorite director. I only wish that I had known about the Eastman house program. I would have planned a visit with my husband. --Becky

Allan said...

Woosh! I'm amazed by your write-up. Wish the layout could've been much light colored (easy on the eye).

Allan.

Billy from Philly said...

Your comparison of “Norbit” to the work of Tashlin is spot-on. I’ve been reading your blog for years now and admire its unique focus. I mean, where else can you read a tiny tribute to Stuart Rosenberg on the eve of his death? Did anyone even know he died? Certainly no one else acknowledged his passing or his modest but valuable contributions to film. Good reading. Thanks.

Dave K. said...

"Norbit" is one of those movies that is dead from the start with critics and editors -- the one-sheet alone killed it -- and I imagine everyone saw the movie they were expecting to see and panned it accordingly. I haven't seen it either, but I'll seek it out on your recommendation.

Bunuel said...

The trailers for it made it look good-awful, and the reviews were dismissive, although I have a vague recollection of the NY Times sort of liking it. This is another film that most critics just didn't "get."

jim said...

Thanks for the tip on NORBIT. My brother told me the same thing about its relation to Lewis and Tashlin and I'll definitely check it out now. Nice to encounter all these Tashlin fans.

Kevin Barry said...

Joe, the water-slide scene in Norbit is hilarious every time I see it. I was also puzzled by the movie's reception (It was nominated for an Oscar, though). As for Tashlin, Say One For Me and Bachelor Flat seem to have fallen off the earth, especially in their 'Scope ratios. The Lieutenant Wore Skirts is available from Amazon for 20 bucks in a beautiful transfer DVD. You can also rent Man From the Diner's Club to stream from Amazon for 4 bucks. I would also like to revisit The ABC Murders with Tony Randall, but it has vanished, as well.

Bill Wolfe said...

I have yet to see "Norbit," but "Used Cars" is one of my favorite American comedies. Probably the best thing Robert Zemeckis has done.

ADELL W. said...

I have been remiss in not writing sooner. I read your reviews in the Sacramento Bee and enjoyed them very much. I couldn't understand how you could retire from a job that allows you to watch, study and inhale movies. Then I found your blog and discovered that you haven't stopped. Your take on "Norbit" is true to form. It's another example of a film that I had no desire to see -- until I read your review!

joe baltake said...

Adell W.! Many thanks for the generous words. -J

mike schlesinger said...

God knows I tried to get "Diner's Club" out on DVD when I was at Sony, but it, like many others, was a film they could not have cared less about.

Speaking of Tashlin, if I may be permitted, given the passing of Miss Day, I hope you'll allow me to post this link to an observation of when their paths crossed most agreeably:

https://trailersfromhell.com/the-glass-bottom-boat/

joe baltake said...

Thanks, Mike. BTW, "The Man from the Diner's Club" popped up once and only once - about five years ago on TCM and it was letterboxed. I taped it, of course. Sill have the tape. I assumed that the Turner screening indicated that Sony would be releasing a DVD of it. Given that it was shot in glorious black-&-white - and given that there was reportedly a bias against black-&-white films at Sony (at least, at one time) - I was not surprised that it never materialized, -J

joe baltake said...

Mike: Also, an FYI. I added your “Glass Bottom Boat” link to the body of my piece (as a note in passing) for easy access by the readers. -J

mike schlesinger said...

Thank you. And a note to Kevin: "The ABC Murders" is available from Warner Archive under its American title, "The Alphabet Murders."

Kevin Barry said...

Thanks so much, Mike! I remember that Tony Randall was not the ideal Poirot, but I've always wanted to see it again.