Sunday, October 05, 2008

Who Is Sarah Palin?

OK, here's a new parlor game, inspired by the recent debate between the vice presidential nominees and the various "folkisms" (is that even a word?) and the ubiquitous winks that Republican nominee Sarah Palin affected for the occasion:

Which movie character best represents Governor Palin?...

Tracy Flick
in
Alexander Payne's
"Election" (1999)


Suzanne Stone Maretto
in
Gus Van Sant's
"To Die For" (1995)

"Lonesome" Rhodes
in
Elia Kazan's
"A Face in the Crowd" (1957)
Raymond Shaw
in
John Frankenheimer's
"The Manchurian Candidate" (1962)


Marge Gunderson
in
The Coen Brothers'
"Fargo" (1996)








Suggestions? Complaints? Feel free to disagree, participate or comment.

(Artwork: Sarah and her would-be interpretors - Reese, Nicole, Andy, Laurence and Francis)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell you what, if what we are seeing is just a put on, then I think Lonesome Rhodes would be the closest.

Anonymous said...

I hereby cast my vote: Tracy Flick all the way!

Anonymous said...

She has the Marge Gunderson dialect down pat.

Anonymous said...

Raymond Shaw? She's more like Mrs. Shaw, the character played by Angela Lansbury.

Anonymous said...

No fair, you didn't have Marge Gunderson on there when I first weighed in. The voice, the guns, the pregnancy, Marge all the way!!!

Anonymous said...

Is Edie McClurg too old for the part?

joe baltake said...

Jay--

Edie McClurg crossed my mind, too, if only because she has the Palin inflections down pat. Actually, the actress whose voice is closest to Palin's is - now don't laugh - Tuesday Weld. I'm talking about when Palin speaks in her regular voice and not the McClurg-like one ("You betcha" and doggone") that she cleverly affected for the debate. Watch one of Weld's movies and you'll see what I mean. (It's already been pointed out that Palin never used those "folkisms" in her debates in Alaska and she certainly didn't use them at the Republican convention.)

Anonymous said...

Well Mr. "Joe Sixpack" Baltake, goshdonnit, I see that you too are a maverick. Someday, after the election I would love to take ya moose huntin' with me and discuss some of my favorite movies like, "Strange Brew", "Pretty Woman", "Rain Man", and "Big Top Pee Wee". I've always found that last one to be quite pithy dontcha know. Oh well, gotta finnish up with this breast pump and then head back out to the campaign trail. Keep these oh sooo funny postings coming.
And before I forget, I always saw myself as Katherine Hepburn character. I would love for her to play me in a movie.

Anonymous said...

You missed Baby Jane Hudson!

Anonymous said...

How about the Nathan Lane transvestite character from "The Birdcage"?

Anonymous said...

No, Dame Edna