Thursday, July 05, 2007

Brian Robbins' "Norbit" (2007), my magnificent obsession


The release of Eddie Murphy's criminally maligned "Norbit" on DVD brought in the following response from my friend John:

"A couple of months ago, I was checking things online and looked over to see what was new with The Passionate Moviegoer. You had a glowing recomendation for 'Norbit' of all movies. You were completely right about it. Damn good movie. Murphy was excellent. Funniest I've seen him since 'The Nutty Proffesor.' Thank you for the recomendation. Otherwise I would have skipped it altogether."

John is referring to my previous musing on "Norbit," posted March 24th.

Back then, I wrote: "For better or worse, 'Norbit' is an authentic Jerry Lewis movie, an exhilarating throwback to the kind of movies that Lewis made, specifically the ones he made with director Frank Tashlin. It is genuinely, side-splittingly funny. While Murphy's timid 'Nutty Professor' twins were ostensibly inspired by Lewis, 'Norbit' is the real thing, and unapologetically so."

That's it for repeating myself, but you can peruse the original post, if you're so inclined.

More to the point, check out "Norbit" itself, if you enjoy being genuinely, pleasantly surprised by a movie.

A belated thanks, meanwhile, to Premiere's Glenn Kenny for his reference to my theory on "Norbit" in his June 5th column, The Tashlin Tradition, and also to Dave Kehr for a smiliar plug.


Speaking of Tashlin and Kehr, I highly recommend that you check out Dave's major take on the recently released Martin-&-Lewis DVD set (vol.2 ), especially their seminal work with Tashlin. Read about it either via Dave's June 5th column in The New York Times or on his invaluable blog, Reports from the lost continent of Cinephilia, or both.

Good reading from both Dave and Glenn.

(Artwork: Eddie Murphy as Norbit, and Martin and Lewis, with Shirley MacLaine and Dean Martin in Frank Tashlin's “Artists and Models” of 1955)

* * *

Anyone interested in perusing some 2060 of my film reviews, dating back to 1994, can do so by simply going to RottenTomatoes.Com

4 comments:

Todd said...

I skipped "Norbit" in the theaters because of the reviews and the ads, which turned me off. But you're right - it's a really throwback to vintage Lewis. I loved it when Murphy screamed, "La-a-adies," a la Lewis, at the end of the movie.

Isabell said...

just to let you know that I totally agree with you - Norbit is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. I found it absolutely hilarious even though it is very stupid and stereotyped but who cares? As long as I can have a good laugh!!
I have watched Norbit several times and never get sick of it.
Another of my favourites is "I love you to death" with Kevin Kline. You will like it too - if you haven't seen it already. I've watched it a million times.
Bye for now,
Isabell

P.S.: Do you know any more funny movies as we seem to have a similar sense of humor.

joe baltake said...

Thanks, Isabell. I also love “I Love You to Death.” As for your question, I would say “Caddyshack,” “Kingpin” and “Used Cars,” off the top of my head. -J

Isabell said...

Hi Joe,
thanks for the tip - I will definitely watch these movies!!
Wishing you all the best and lots of good laughs,
Isabell :)))